Steffanie Strazzere (@sstrazzere) proves creepy girls do it better.
Living in Salem with her 3 cats, Merlin, Goblin, and Anubis, Steffanie has created a reputation that proceeds her. A professional makeup artist for a little over eleven years now, she just recently began her journey into freelance work. If she’s not painting someone’s face, she’s drawing or spending time with her boyfriend and family. I asked her to spill some of her makeup secrets.
How did your career begin in the world of beauty?
My career began eleven years ago when I started working for MAC Cosmetics. I had been studying watercolor portraits beforehand and found it to be very similar.
How would you describe your signature look and what is it about your style that sets you apart from other makeup artists?
I think that my style is very experimental and a little dark. I’m always trying new products and new techniques. In 2013 I challenged myself to break all of my makeup habits. For example, I did not wear any black makeup, even mascara. I believe doing that strengthened my creativity as an artist. I also have found a fond love for conceptual makeup and shoots this year. I’ve been lucky enough to collaborate with some amazing people.
What are some of your favorite products in your makeup kit?
- Melt Cosmetics lipsticks (best color pay off and finish).
- Bobbi Brown foundation sticks (incredible coverage, skin finish and photographs beautifully).
- I’m really in love with Naked pallets by Urban Decay. They are perfect.
- Beauty Blender sponges are life changing.
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics lip tar.
- MAC Fix +. It’s probably my favorite product by MAC.
What products do you think should be a staple in every woman’s makeup collection?
Every person needs a few basic beauty items no matter what. A good lip conditioner without SPF. I personally love EOS lip conditioners. A brow gel, clear or tinted is great. It keeps the hairs in place with minimal effort. Ardell makes a great clear brow gel. Some other important basics are mascara, Benefit bad gal lash is my personal favorite currently, and a great lip color. I’m obsessed with a few: Melt Cosmetics lipstick in “By Starlight,” “six6six,” OCC lip tar in Nylon.
What are some common beauty mistakes that people make?
First and foremost, not everyone should be highlighting and contouring their faces like Kim Kardashian. Everyone’s face shape and skin tone are different. Another big beauty mistake is eyebrows. Eyebrows are a delicate art and a lot of people tend to fill them in too densely. What that ends up doing is throwing off the symmetry of the face and making the focus point of your face your eyebrows.
Who are some people that have inspired you throughout your career?
Alex Box has been an incredible inspiration to me. Her skills are honestly untouchable. I get lost looking at her work, it’s surreal. Like her, I’ve always found inspiration and beauty in the macabre. I also am so inspired by many of the artists I follow on Instagram.
Tell us five random things about you.
1. I’m the oldest of five children.
2. I’ve moved 9 times in the last 10 years, four times across the country.
3. I was the varsity captain of my high school soccer team.
4. I was a skeleton for Halloween four years in a row as a child. After the costume didn’t fit anymore I was the grim reaper for the next few years.
5. I am by all accounts a full-on cat lady. And If I could, I’d adopt more.
What’s something you’re looking forward to Instagraming right now?
I have a few photo shoots that I’m waiting to get the pictures back from. I’m very excited to get those back and post them. My makeup Instagram mainly consists of shameless makeup selfies and different makeup and shoots I’ve done.